Darwin Plus Initiative: Guidance for FIG Support
The Falkland Islands Government (FIG) is keen to encourage research into the Falkland Islands environment that provides a greater understanding of ecosystems, biodiversity and wider influences and that contributes to environmental management in the Falkland Islands.
We therefore welcome Darwin Initiative applications that will contribute to the environmental aims of FIG. Below you can find the details of how you can involve FIG in your project application and what is required in order to consider supporting your application.
We recommend that organisations seeking support or partnership from FIG contact the FIG Environment Department as early as possible to discuss their projects. Darwin Plus applications are expected to seek in-territory partners and the meaningful engagement of stakeholders and FIG. Please contact the FIG Environment Department even if they have a contact elsewhere in FIG.
Please note that for Darwin-Plus Main applications, it is important for applicants to provide as much information as possible to FIG at the Stage 1 application phase. Applicants that have not sought to engage FIG during Stage 1 will not be eligible to receive a letter of support for Stage 2.
For Darwin Plus Local applications, the FIG Environment Department can offer advice to people who wish to apply as private individuals.
For Darwin Strategic we advise that prospective applicants contact FIG as early as possible and well in advance of the deadline.
In order for FIG to consider requests for support of your proposal we require:
- A completed Darwin-Plus application form
- A separate document that includes the following (section by section)
- Statement of Motivation: clearly outlining how this project builds on existing research and/or aligns with current FIG (environmental) management priorities. As appropriate, detail what questions and gaps it will help FIG address.
- Resources/Facilities/Support: clearly state what resources, facilities or support you would like to request from FIG. This includes project partnership, letter(s) of support, logistical support needed during your project, government officers’ time, use of facilities and/or equipment, hosting/attendance of workshops etc. Please note that there are opportunities to apply for co-funding through the competitive Environmental Studies Budget bid process. This funding cannot be guaranteed and is subject to various FIG budgetary rules and processes.
- Outreach and Communications: an outline of how FIG will be included in any outreach and communication activities of the project and the intended benefit of these particular activities to FIG.
These documents should be submitted to the FIG Environment Department at
FIG will not ordinarily be able to support or prioritise submissions made later than this deadline.
More details about the Darwin Plus initiative can be found on their website:
For more information, please contact the Environment Department on:
Phone: + 500 28449